background

Monday, June 6, 2011

Menu Monday: "Nanna's Lemon Meringue Pie"


Wow, how is it that Monday is almost over.... I had full intentions of getting todays scrumptious recipe up by 9am, but here we are at the other end of the day already!!

Given that we are now officially in winter, there will be a few "winter warmer" recipes making their appearance here over the next few weeks.  If you have a great winter warmer, please share it with us by emailing thesewingsisterhood@live.com.au.  We would love to be able to share some of your favourite recipes too!!

Todays recipe comes from Bec at Baby Chilli.  I will certainly be trying this one out in the following weeks!

Nanna's Lemon Meringue Pie

Base:
180g of plain crushed biscuits - I add one packet around 250g (gota love a great base) with 90g of melted butter - make it around 120-150ml if adding a whole packet press firmly into a 23cm pie dish and chill

Filling:
1 can condensed milk,
1/2 cup lemon juice (I add 3/4 cup to make it extra tangy)
3 lightly beaten egg yolks (save the whites) (I add 5 eggs as I add more lemon juice)

mix together well and then pour over the chilled base

Meringue top:
beat the egg whites until they are stiff gradually adding 1/2 cup castor sugar (add 3/4 cup if using 5 egg whites)

spoon or pipe on top of the lemon filling. I spoon it on and then use a fork to make the spikes.

bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes. If I have time I cook at 150 degrees fan forced for over 30 minutes to allow the meringue to brown nicely. how devine does that smell!! hmm might make it now :) You can serve it hot or cold but let it sit for about 10 minutes first after taking out of the oven as it will be runny otherwise.


Enjoy your Lemon Meringue Pie and we will catch you next week with something as equally delicious!

Tracey
My Obsession Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ You might also like... ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...