background

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Meet the Maker - M's Cute Bottoms and M's Cute Creations

I usually post these Meet the Maker posts on Thursdays so I am a couple of days late posting this. There is, however, no time like the present to introduce the lovely Michelle. Michelle is the face behind a gorgeous nappy business - M's Cute Bottoms as well as M's Cute Creations.


Tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Michelle and I am a mother of 2 bouncing boys, Cody (4.5) and Aiden (2). I enjoy making, and, from a young age have always been creating something. The first pattern I ever made was the Burke's Backyard Signature Bear. Since then I have progressed from to making my own patterns, I'm very proud of my very own nappy pattern.


Other than sewing, what do you do?
Other then my sewing, I am a full time teacher. I have only just come back to the field of teaching, after taking a lot of time off with my children. My partner owns his own cabinet making business, which is very busy. So between school and the kids commitments there isn't a lot of time for just me. M's label is where I am able to create and have some 'me' time.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I get my inspiration from my children, to be able to make them lovely things. I also love being able to make things for family and friends and see their delight when they receive a handmade item. At the moment I'm loving expanding my range to include toilet training products. My youngest is about to transition from nappies to toilet training and wants to be like his big brother and wear undies, well we all know how that can be. So I made some pull up nappies that he considers undies and they hold in those accidents, but allows him to take them off if he remembers. 
As a mother of 2 boys, I don't get the opportunity to make pretty girly things, but with M's I have an excuse.

What does sewing, crafting and handmade mean to you?
It means love, the time and energy that goes into each and every item. It shows the love and dedication people have to their craft.

Who is your favourite fabric or pattern designer?
My all time favourite fabric collection is the All Stars collection by Riley Blake. I was very upset when they stopped producing it, but am happy to see that he has realised a new version, yeah for more stars. It is very hard to find nice fabric for boys, so when I do I grab it.

Who has been your greatest influence?
This is a hard question and really I don't know if I have an answer. My Mum was always making things especially when my sister was born (12 years younger). I would see her making up lovely clothes for her, so I suppose it sparked from there. But it wasn't until I had kids of my own that I really started to create.

Where would you like to be in five years?
I would love to see my M's label being well known. I love seeing my creations on children and the pride that parents have. I would love to only being teaching part time, so I can focus more on the M's label.

What handmade possession do you love most?
Last year the Sewing Sisters ran a secret Santa, where we were all given a person and their likes in fabric, from which we had to make them something. I received a beautiful handbag (what girl has too many handbags) which was made by one of our sisters. It is something that I treasure and know that is was defiantly made with LOVE. Another handmade item would be my son's quilt, as a young baby we were constantly fighting breathing difficulties. During one of our stays at hospital we received a wonderful quilt that was handmade and donated. It is something that he is able to treasure and has pride of place on his bed.








No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ You might also like... ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...