background

Monday, July 25, 2011

Menu Monday



For this weeks recipe, I am going to fall back on my heritage...

I am first generation (born) Australian.  My Mum is a Kiwi and my Dad is from America (although he grew up in Australia from the age of 10).  My Grandmother (Dad's Mum) brought with her lots of recipes that are traditional in the USA.  One of my favourites growing up was her Homemade Apple Pie.

I remember as a child going to a Church Pot Luck Dinner and was so excited when I saw an Apple Pie on the table - that was definately MY dessert!!!  What shock and disappointment I felt as I took a mouthful of this Apple Pie - I spat it out in disgust and promptly stated "I don't like this "Australian" Apple Pie (ie: one without the delicious flavours of cinnamon and nutmeg).  I laugh now, thinking how embarrassed my Grandma must have been!  I guess I assumed that EVERYONE had experienced such bliss as my Grandma's Apple Pie.

My Grandma is not so well these days, and finds it hard to stand in the kitchen for long periods of time, so the task of baking pies has fallen into my hands.  I hope that one day my Grandchildren will love my pies as much as I love my Grandma's! (although I am still perfecting the scrumptious shortcrust pastry she used to make).

So here it is for you all to try - and I hope you love it as much as I do!


Apple Pie

Ingredients:

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup margarine
5 tablespoons water

** If you don't want to have a go at your own crust, just use the frozen shortcrust pastry from the frozen food section**

Filling:
6-8 apples
½ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Dot of margarine

Method:

Crust:
  1. Rub margarine into combined flour and salt until mixture is crumbly.
  2. Add water, mix until firm dough.  Divide mixture in half.  Roll out one half and place in a greased pie flan.

Filling:
  1. Peel and slice apples.
  2. Mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  3. Layer apples into prepared pie flan, sprinkling with cinnamon mixture between each layer.
  4. Dot with margarine and cover with top crust
  5. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon
Bake at 200oC for 15 minutes, then 150oC until done



Tracey
My Obsession Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ You might also like... ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...